Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Lizzy with Reading Regatta trophy

The rare genuine smile in a photo of Lizzy.

This was on the second day, the second victory of the eight in the racing at Reading. This was a tuneup race for Henley, of strange distances: 1500m and 1100m.

I did a lot of running alongside boats during races, and with them while they warmed up.

The landscape was very pastoral, especially near the start line. On the second day, I remember, that there were horses on the far shore, one of which was standing right at the waterline. There was also a fire of a leaf or brushpile of some sort. I also recall getting nettle-stung quite badly while I acted the good Samaritan in lying on the shoreline holding the oars of another boat while their coach cycled back to try to find a replacement seat or a tool of some sort to repair a pre-race breakage. This was our competition I was doing favors for, no less.