Sunday, August 28, 2005

Manhattan Half Marathon

from my workout journal for the day:


Sun, August 28
1:25:17 (6:30 per mile)

I finished 27th out of 701 in the 19-29 age group for men.
I finished 89th out of 3570 men, total.
I finished 94th out of 6328 runners, total. (Five women beat me.)

[Felt pretty strong. Could've pushed harder, didn't know the distance
all that well. Saw Gabe Winkler at the finish line, ran past Leah
about mile 4 or so. Actually didn't really have any aches and pains
afterwards. I don't have splits, but I think I was very consistent
speedwise.]



Leah asked if I wanted to run this with her, a few weeks before. I figured, "What the hell? Could be fun." I hadn't run in a race in four or five years, and those were only 10k, which is a bit less than half this distance.
I came in worried that I wouldn't be able to do very well. I figured a good guess would be to run about 7:30/mile pace. I just trusted my gut and ran without paying much attention to other runners or time, and only realized how fast I was going about six miles in.